Ermatinger - Clergue National Historic Site
The Ermatinger•Clergue National Historic Site consists of two of the oldest stone buildings northwest of Toronto surrounded by period gardens.
The first building, the Ermatinger Old Stone House, is restored to depict the domestic and professional life of Charles Oakes Ermatinger and other prominent residents and visitors of the House between 1808 and 1870 reflecting the nationally recognized historic aspects of the House.
The second building, the Clergue Blockhouse, was relocated to the Site in 1996, and was the home of Francis Hector Clergue from 1894 - 1908. Within the Ermatinger Old Stone House, staff and volunteers collect, preserve, research, house, exhibit and interpret artifacts that illustrate the 1808 - 1870 time period. The stories steeped in stone are presented through interpretive panels, interactive displays, and period rooms. In the attached Summer Kitchen Interpretive Centre, hands on demonstration and programming depict the daily life of the early 1800’s.
The Clergue Blockhouse is restored to the time when Francis Hector Clergue used the building as his residence and as the hub from which he directed his growing business empire (1894 – 1908). Interpretation of the Blockhouse, its link to the fur trade, the North West Company (1819) and the life of F. H. Clergue are presented through the use of interpretive panels, and interactive displays.
The Site includes historic gardens and grounds, which are integrated into the daily activities of interpretation. Each section of the heritage landscape represents the varied cultural and historic way of life for the early settlers and first nation peoples of the 1800’s.
The site is located approximately 15 minutes walking or 5 minutes driving from the Sault Ste. Marie Days Inn and Suites. The site is west down Bay or Queen Street, near the Bushplane Museum. For more information visit the Ermatinger Clergue National Historic Site website.